Sunday, February 23, 2014

The Killer of Sheep: I find myself getting Lost

This week’s film Killer of Sheep is certainly different in the way it’s presented as a film which made it somewhat difficult for me to follow. Immediately as the film began we see a father scolding his older son for not defending his younger brother from a fight that he supposedly started. This scene ended with the boy getting slapped by his mother, it’s after that we don’t see any references back to this situation ever again nor are we introduced to any main characters. Its only after this we are then introduced to our main character Stan where we are informed that he is having issues sleeping at night; this is brought back up again in the film twice by his wife however for the audience we are never informed nor clued into what could be directly linked to his insomnia. 

Not really clued into the purpose or reason of Stan spreading what appears to be Rosin Paper.

I can only imagine my difficulty in following this movie originally was I’m used to structure of films where at some point within the movie it’ll inform all of the audience for most if not all central plot points within the movie. It was only during the first 15 minutes of the movie I had to change my viewpoint and mindset to stop treating this as a structured narrative but more along the lines of a documentary.

No comments:

Post a Comment